Hello all, I hope this post finds you well after a wonderful, restful holiday. My Christmas was great, and I have a fun little sewing tutorial to bring you involving one of my xmas presents! My husband got me the Kindle Touch, so I decided I needed a cover for it since I'd surely be carrying it around in my purse. I wanted fabric that'd be easy to spot inside my dark and cavernous handbag, so I chose my really fun black and white swirling fabric for one side of the cover, and a bright teal fabric for the other. I used a minty green for the inside fabric, which you'll see in just a second.
Since the Kindle Touch is almost exactly 5" x 7" I cut down 4 rectangles of fabric that measured 7" x 9" so there was plenty of seam allowance.
One rectangle of the b&w swirl, one rectangle of the teal, and 2 rectangles of the minty green. For the one side of the cover with the swirling fabric, I pinned that to the green fabric with the pattern inward:
I sewed along the edges, leaving a gap at the top (reinforced the end of the seam by reversing it and going back over it a couple of times):
Took out the pins, turned it inside out:
Then ironed the whole thing, especially folding over the top where I hadn't sewn all the way across:
I did the same thing for the teal side, ironed that one, and then got them ready to sew them together.
I laid them together, swirl side up, teal side down (so the mint green sides were inside, that sounds weird so I hope it makes sense) and I pinned along three sides, leaving one of the short side completely unpinned. That's where the Kindle will go in.
You can see how thick it is so it took me quite a lot of patience to get my sewing machine to go through all those layers along the three sides. I just used black thread and tried to keep the seam as close to the edge as I could.
And there you have it, one side unsewn for the Kindle to cozy on in:
As of right now, I don't have any way to close up the end where you put the Kindle in, so I'm considering a way to fold over the little bit of excess and button it on the back, or maybe include a little metal snap so the Kindle doesn't slide out in my purse, but we'll see.
Obviously, the Kindle goes all the way down into the cover without sticking out like this, but I just wanted to show you how it looks:
Like I mentioned, because it was a little tricky getting my sewing machine to cooperate with all those layers in the final stage, things definitely did not turn out perfect. There are some pinches in the fabric in the teal layer, not to mention, the seam is not at all 100% straight.
Oh well :) I still really like it and it serves the purpose very well. If you decide to try this, post a picture to your project in the comments, I'd love to see your covers! And if you can think of another sewing project I should try, I'm all ears.
Oh and as always, if any of these steps need more explanation, let me know - it can be hard to describe exactly what to do sometimes. Good luck if you decide to try it!